Mon – Fri: 08:00-17:00
Sat – Sun: Closed till end of July
Public Holidays: Closed till end of July
Baboon’s Back Petite Sirah 2017
This full red wine’s bouquet suggests ripe berries overlaid with green pepper and spicy flavours. There is excellent follow through onto the palate where the peppery flavours dominate. The well-integrated ripe tannins make for easy accessibility.
- Voor Paardeberg
- March by hand
- Blend information:
- 100% Shiraz
- Mediterranean climate with moderate summers and cold, rainy winters. Rainfall of approximately 600 – 800 mm annually.
- Gravelly, well-drained soils, as well as Perdeberg Mountain sandstone.
- Grapes were harvested at an optimum ripeness of 24°B, inoculated with a pure yeast strain and fermented on the skins until dry.
After alcoholic fermentation was completed in steel tanks, malolactic fermentation took place in big oak barrels.
- Serving suggestions:
- Ideal with Goulash, Kassler Rib, roast venison, Malesian food and all sort of grilled meat.
- Tasting notes:
- This full red wine’s bouquet suggests ripe berries overlaid with green pepper and spicy flavours. There is excellent follow through onto the palate where the peppery flavours dominate. The well-integrated ripe tannins make for easy accessibility.
- Ageing potential:
- Ready for immediate enjoyment but will mature well for up to five years.
- Ideal served at:
- 18 – 19° C
- Producer comment:
- The soul of Africa resides at Slent, at the foot of the Perdeberg. Nature offers thrilling golden red sunsets that encompass Table Mountain. It also offers you unbelievable surprises… like finding a family of baboons delighting in our Shiraz grapes. It’s a unique sight. They meander though the grapevines picking the ripest bunch and carry it under their arms to then lose it on picking another one. The loss is not irreparable; our watchdogs send them away and let us harvest what becomes the content of this bottle. A smooth, fruity, hearty and pleasant wine for the palate and smell. Our baboons can guarantee that!
Weight 0.750 kg